|"St. Patty's Pizza Pie" Before Adding Sauce|
Welcome to the "Heart Healthy Pizza" Blog! Still being worked on, but complete enough to proudly post my "St. Patty's Pizza Pie" recipe from the world's first vegan pizza cookbook, AND, to announce a free giveaway of a copy of "Heart Healthy Pizza" contest (details after recipes below)!
The St. Patty's Pizza Pie recipe calls for a wonderful "Barley, Navy Beans, and Horseradish" topping sauce! Here's a photo of a slice of the finished pizza:
|Completed and savory "St. Patty's Pizza Pie (both photos @2012 by Mark Sutton)|
|"St. Patty's Pie" Out of the Oven|
St. Patty's Pizza Pie
• Whole Wheat Dough (add 1 T. dried dill before mixing)
• 1/2 cup carrots (sliced small julienne)
• 1/2 cup turnips (sliced small julienne)
• 1/2 cup parsnips (sliced small julienne)
• 1 cup diced cabbage
• 2 t. horseradish
• 1 t. wet mustard
• 1 t. dried parsley
• 1/4 cup white wine (or water)
• 1 t. soy sauce
• TVP Corned Beef Cubes (recipes follows)
• Barley, White Beans, and Horseradish Sauce (p. 47)
• 1 onion (sliced thin)
• paprika (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 or 450 degrees F. (depending upon your oven).
2. Put ingredients up to soy sauce into a non-stick (preferably) saute pan or wok. Bring to a slow boil, stirring to mix, and simmer on very low until most of the liquid is gone and the vegetables are still tender crisp. Drain, let cool to room temperature.
3. Arrange vegetable mixture on prepared and shaped dough.
4. Sprinkle on TVP Corned Beef Cubes.
5. Arrange onion slices on top of pizza.
6. Pour topping sauce on pizza.
7. Sprinkle on paprika (to taste).
8. Bake pizza for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Use 3/4 cup carrots and 3/4 cup cubed potatoes instead of 1/2 cup carrots, turnips, and parsnips. Be careful not to overcook the potatoes or they will be mushy.
TVP Corned Beef Cubes Recipe
• 1 cup unflavored TVP cubes
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
• 1/4 t. ground pepper (or to taste)
• 1 T. Ketchup
• 3/4 cup water
• 1 T. red Tabasco sauce
1. Put all ingredients into a small pot, mix, and slowly bring to a boil.
2. Simmer on very low for 10 to 15 minutes, turn off the heat, and let cool. Drain if necessary.
• Substitute TVP cubes with tempeh cubes, reducing simmering time to 5 minutes.
Barley, White Beans, and Horseradish Sauce
• 1/3 cup pearl barley
• 1 1/4 cup water
• 1 cup cooked white beans
• 2 T. corn starch
• 1/2 T. prepared horseradish
• 1/2 T. wet mustard
• 3/4 cup water
1. Rinse and drain the beans (to remove any salt).
2. Bring 1 1/4 cup water and barley to a boil, cover, turn down to very low, simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes or less (until the water is absorbed). Let cool to room temperature.
3. Add all ingredients except the water to a blender or food processor, pulse a few times, and add half the water, pulse, and then the remaining water to blend until it's a smooth pancake-like batter.
• Makes enough sauce for two 12 to 14" inch pizzas (around 3 cups).
Recipes @2012 by Mark Sutton. Please include this copyright, post and my website if you post them elsewhere.
Win a Free Copy of the "Heart Healthy Pizza" cookbook Contest Details
Anyone can enter. Contest runs from the time of this posting to this coming Monday, March 19th, at 6pm est. All you need to do to enter is link to this post/blog on your website, with Twitter, or with Facebook, and provide info in a Comment below where you've done this. OR you can, in a Comment, tell me what your favorite pizza toppings are.
The winner will be picked at random and announced on this blog. The winner will have 48 hrs. from that announcement to get me their name, mailing address, and e-mail address, or another winner will be chosen.
Have fun! (and a special acknowledgement and thank you for Robin Robertson's original giveaway of my book contest for the ideas used herein. Visit her great VEGAN PLANET blog asap!)