"St. Patty's Pizza Pie" Before Adding Sauce
My "St. Patty's Pizza Pie" recipes from the world's first vegan pizza cookbook. All recipes are no-fat and plant-based. The St. Patty's Pizza Pie recipe calls for a wonderful "Barley, Navy Beans, and Horseradish" topping sauce!
Here's a photo of a slice of the finished pizza:
Completed and savory "St. Patty's Pizza Pie (all photos @2013 by Mark Sutton)
"St. Patty's Pie" Out of the Oven
St. Patty's Pizza Pie
• Whole Wheat Dough (add 1 T. dried dill before mixing)
• 1/2 cup carrots (sliced small julienne)
• 1/2 cup turnips (sliced small julienne)
• 1/2 cup parsnips (sliced small julienne)
• 1 cup diced cabbage
• 2 t. horseradish
• 1 t. wet mustard
• 1 t. dried parsley
• 1/4 cup white wine (or water)
• 1 t. soy sauce
• TVP Corned Beef Cubes (recipes follows)
• Barley, White Beans, and Horseradish Sauce (p. 47)
• 1 onion (sliced thin)
• paprika (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 or 450 degrees F. (depending upon your oven).
2. Put ingredients up to soy sauce into a non-stick (preferably) saute pan or wok. Bring to a slow boil, stirring to mix, and simmer on very low until most of the liquid is gone and the vegetables are still tender crisp. Drain, let cool to room temperature.
3. Arrange vegetable mixture on prepared and shaped dough.
4. Sprinkle on TVP Corned Beef Cubes.
5. Arrange onion slices on top of pizza.
6. Pour topping sauce on pizza.
7. Sprinkle on paprika (to taste).
8. Bake pizza for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Use 3/4 cup carrots and 3/4 cup cubed potatoes instead of 1/2 cup carrots, turnips, and parsnips. Be careful not to overcook the potatoes or they will be mushy.
TVP Corned Beef Cubes Recipe
• 1 cup unflavored TVP cubes
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
• 1/4 t. ground pepper (or to taste)
• 1 T. Ketchup
• 3/4 cup water
• 1 T. red Tabasco sauce
1. Put all ingredients into a small pot, mix, and slowly bring to a boil.
2. Simmer on very low for 10 to 15 minutes, turn off the heat, and let cool. Drain if necessary.
• Substitute TVP cubes with tempeh cubes, reducing simmering time to 5 minutes.
Barley, White Beans, and Horseradish Sauce
• 1/3 cup pearl barley
• 1 1/4 cup water
• 1 cup cooked white beans
• 2 T. corn starch
• 1/2 T. prepared horseradish
• 1/2 T. wet mustard
• 3/4 cup water
1. Rinse and drain the beans (to remove any salt).
2. Bring 1 1/4 cup water and barley to a boil, cover, turn down to very low, simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes or less (until the water is absorbed). Let cool to room temperature.
3. Add all ingredients except the water to a blender or food processor, pulse a few times, and add half the water, pulse, and then the remaining water to blend until it's a smooth pancake-like batter.
• Makes enough sauce for two 12 to 14" inch pizzas (around 3 cups).
Recipes @2013 by Mark Sutton. Please include this copyright, post and my website if you post them elsewhere.