After sampling each, I noted how much like a popular old video archive game they looked like... hence, "Pac Man" Pizzas!
Remember, the Special Mother's Day Discount for an autographed copy my cookbook, the 1st vegan pizza cookbook, "Heart Healthy Pizza" ends at midnight est. tonight!
"WHOLE WHEAT and BUCKWHEAT FLOUR PIZZA CRUST"
"Buckwheat seeds (often referred to as a grain) is most popular in Europe. A relative of rhubarb, buckwheat has a hardy nutty taste and is often sauteed then cooked with water and other vegetables to make a great stuffy or pilaf. Nutritionally, buckwheat contains all essential amino acids, is rich in iron and zinc, and is a protein-powerhouse with loads of fiber. Buckwheat adds a nutty flavor to a pizza crust."
• 1 cup of unbleached bread or all-purpose flour
• 1 cup of unbleached whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
• 1 T. sweetener of choice
• 1 t. salt (optional)
• 1 T. oil (optional)
• 1 to 1 1/4 cups of warm water (as necessary)
• 2 1/4 t. regular yeast (1 packet)
• Bread Machine: add sweetener, oil, and warm water. Add flours, salt, and yeast. Use "dough/pizza" setting. As the dough is being mixed, add water in small increments if necessary to get the texture of "an ear lobe" when done kneading. Let cycle complete (dough will rise).
• By hand: add sweetener, oil, water, and yeast to a bowl, and mix. Let sit until bubbly. Slowing add flours, mixing, and adding additional water as needed while kneading (!). Shape into big ball, put in glass bowl, cover, let rise until roughly doubled in size (60 to 90 minutes).
• Pre-heat oven to 425 to 450 degrees F.
• Split dough in half to make two very thin 12" pizzas, or use for one large 16" pizza. Shape dough by hand to fit into non-stick pan (or pizza pan) of choice. Some pans might need a light oiling, some non-stick pans do not.
• Add toppings of choice, bake in oven 15 to 20 minutes until crust is crispy and toppings are browned.
©2013 by Mark Sutton, http://www.hearthealthypizza.com